Monday, January 24, 2011

OK, I'm going to say it again this year.....but this time in capital letters because all caps make such a statement:

I WILL SAVE SEEDS FROM OUR GARDEN THIS YEAR.

I WILL NOT BE A WASTEFUL GARDENER AND BLAME IT ON HOW "I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO SAVE SEEDS."


I WILL BE A SEED SAVER.


There. I've said it. "I've spoken my piece and counted to three" (*name that movie)

I'm going to save seeds this year because of multiple reasons. I think it's really important to know how to save seeds for future years because it frees our family from the big business of seed selling and big agribusiness (GMOs). It also insures our ability to continue in our family's push toward self subsistence. And I want to pass this information to my children so they too can know how to save seeds; yet another homesteading skill. And buying seeds every year just flat out gets expensive!

So, all that being said, I've begun learning just how to save seeds successfully. I know it's going to be one of those many-year adventures in experimentation. I've already been able to save the easy seeds: the big ones like different types of squash and corn. But there are lots of seed that have truly escaped me like carrots, beets, different lettuces, tomatoes..... all the smaller or biannual type seeds.

So I'm beginning an intensive reading campaign on seed saving so I'll be ready for this next gardening season. There are also many, many websites out there that offer all sorts of advice and techniques. Actually, I can't wait. Saving seeds appeals to the scientist in me. And "that old dog can't wait to hunt!" (That's an old saying that my dad used to use.....well, actually he used to say "that old dog don't hunt" meaning "that idea just doesn't work with me". But I didn't use it exactly how he would have, I think he would know what I mean.....at least I think so.)

I'm starting with this book because this is the first one our little home town library could get for me. There is a long list of requested books still coming. Lots of great winter reading while the garden is still sleeping under a covering of snow.





I'll keep you abreast (I love that word!!!) of our progress.........










(***The quote comes from "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou"*****)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting Nyack Backyard - nice to meet you and your blog! (and the kids, chickens, bunnies, etc. )

    Each year I try to save a few more varieties of seed. I keep forgetting though that in order to save seeds, you have to leave things in the ground so that they'll produce them! I did okay with the beans, peppers and okra, but completely forgot with the lettuce - never thought of trying carrots and beets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup...these are scary to me. And my experience with over wintering veggies is very spotty. So much depends on our unpredictable weather. Every year I plan on being more diligent but always fall flat. But not this year!!! This is the year of the seed savers!!!!! (At least here on my little patch of heaven.) This year I will not fail. No excuses.

    Thanks for reading. Your blog is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you on the seed saving, I really liked this post and your reasons for saving seed. That is a great book and you will find it to be very informative. I look forward to hearing more about your seedy endeavors.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I'm really excited about all this. I just found several (about 20) beets that have begun to sprout out leaves.....in the dark of our garage! Yea! I don't remember beets sprouting before this year. And the garage has been really cold. (Not sure how this is happened but I love it.) Now I can put these babies in a pot of dirt and in a bright-ish window and maybe harvest some fresh greens in a couple of weeks. Yea again! Our whole family hungers for fresh greens this time of year. These guys will also be the parents of some beet seeds this fall! Triple yea! Who could guess that so much fun could come from a few sprouting vegetables!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. We are not so far apart in location so it's with great interest that I'm watching how you grow your garden.

    ReplyDelete