Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Let them have PIZZA!!!

It's cold and dreary and rainy and snowy (at the same time) and yucky. This all means it's PIZZA FOR SUPPER TONIGHT!!!!

Usually, the pizza dough is what keeps the normal, average person running to the local pizza place instead of making the pie at home....which is easier, quicker and by far cheaper than running to the corner for a pizza fix. It's so easy, we have pizza about once a week. I found this recipe for crust a loooong time ago. So long ago that I used to make it for my nieces and nephews when they were little. So long ago that I didn't even know my most wonderful mountain boy. So long ago that I think I even made the first crust in a wood burning stove (just kidding). I've made this so many times that I have it MEMORIZED....which is very cool. Because I don't need a recipe anymore, I guess I've graduated to the team of great women who give out recipes with steps like "a pinch of this" and "a slosh of that" like both of my grandmothers, my own mother, most of my friends mothers, Aunt Bea and June Cleaver. (But only when it comes to making pizza. I'm still in the starter mode in all other home duties.)

(Disclaimer----this recipe uses........yeast. So many people are afraid of yeast. There's nothing to be afraid of.......don't freak out. The yeast is what makes this recipe great! Just go to the store and get a couple of packets of yeast. You will not regret it!!!!)


So here it is:

One packet of yeast dissolved in 1/2 cup of warmish water with a dash of sugar in a large bowel (did I just say bowel? I meant to say bowl)

After the above mixture is all bubbly, about 5 minutes, mix 2 cups of flour into the yeast and a slosh of oil (what ever kind of oil you like or have on hand. I have both olive oil and canola.) Then let the mixer whirl it around while you add enough water to allow the dough to become a ball while spinning in the mixing bowl- a couple of table spoons. (If you add too much water and the mixture is too wet and gooey, just add more flour a handful at a time until the dough mixture works itself into a ball.)

Then allow the flour ball to rest inside the bowl for 5 minutes....that means don't mess with it. Let that dough rest, I say!

Next you grab that dough ball and start patting it out on a greased cookie sheet or a pizza stone. Pat that baby until you get that dough into the shape you need it to be. Then the fun starts: put on top of the sweet dough whatever toppings float your boat: cheese, fruit, veggies of all sorts, sweets like chocolate sauce. You like it, it could probably be put in a pizza. You don't always need tomato sauce. We've had breakfast pizza topped with fried eggs, bacon and cream cheese, we've had veggie pizza with zucchini hidden in the sauce (when did this sometimes when the kids were little) and the ever favorite hot dog pizza.The pizza is only limited by your imagination.

After the pizza dough is properly dressed, place in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.






The pie pictured above is a Ranch Chicken Pizza. We eat this one a lot. You bake the naked dough until it's a little brownish around the edges, then slather ranch dressing all over the top, then drop bites of cooked chicken and top with your favorite cheese. Place back into the hot oven until the cheese is all bubbly and the kitchen fills with an amazing aroma and your mouth is all watery and you-just-can't-wait-another-minute-you've-just-gotta-have-that-pizza.

And that's it!
Pizza for everyone.
Try it just once (or twice) and if you don't like it or it doesn't turn out....."comment" me. We'll have a pizza tutorial.

Thank you and good night.



3 comments:

  1. I remember your homemade pizza! :) So delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed your pizza recipe, husband says more, more, more! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeay! I LOVE this recipe. It has never failed to please the masses!
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete