Saturday, January 29, 2011


It's cold and blustery outside. I can hear the snowy, East wind blasting against the house in waves. The noise startles and confuses the red puppy. She will suddenly jump up from her warm place on the floor, bristling for a fight when she hears an unusual noise made by the wind.

I laid out an extra scoop of cracked corn for the hens and their husbands. And I pushed several handfuls of grass hay into the rabbit cages during evening chores. The door to the little red coop is secured and all inside are warm and dozing.

Our own house is warm and comfortable, but three of our four kids are spending the night away from home this cold night. The two Jr. High kids are at a church retreat. The youngest is spending the night at a friend’s house. All are safe and warm as I've spoken to each of them but I wish they were dozing on the couch all piled up on another as they are apt to do on Saturday nights. I find myself wandering over to the window to peer into the darkness. I can't see anything. It's been dark for several hours. Maybe it's just the wind making me jumpy but I wish they were all home. I think I'll put a pot of coffee on to brew. I'm not sure how much sleep I'm going to get anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment