Saturday, March 13, 2010

March madness

We spent all day pursuing our spring ritual.......looking for that perfect house. Our forever home. Every spring (and fall and summer and winter) we look fervently for that elusive forever house. This year there's a certain urgency because the owner of the home we are renting has decided to place it back on the market. It's a great house (7 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms on 10 acres) but the asking price is about $150,000 more than our budget can stretch. So out we go. Driving to and fro, following houses listed online, in the newspaper, friend's tips, for sale signs that we might pass in the pursuit, anything that looks promising. It's exciting and frustrating. I sometimes think we are being too picky and that we should just choose a house that fits our criteria and not worry about the rest. But we've been waiting and looking for a long time. And this might be the last house we buy. So I really would like it to be as perfect a match as possible: a little land, several bedrooms and a couple of bathrooms. Of course it would be nice to not have it cost arms and legs, too.

Today we did not find our dream house. Maybe tomorrow. I'm not going to worry about what lies ahead out there. For now the search has been suspended due to darkness. I'm just going to snuggle up next to my husband on the couch and sip white wine and forget about the fact that we might have to move within 30 days (if someone buys this house we have 30 days to move. I know I shouldn't be so worried but it's happened to us 3 times already in 2 different states.....so it could happen!). What did Scarlett say in Gone With the Wind? "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."


(Note the bottle half empty, the couch in the background and the TV tuned to "Inglorious B-----"....Mountain Boy's choice.)


No comments:

Post a Comment