Sunday, February 28, 2010

Milk...milk....my kingdom for real milk!

Last summer I came this close (finger and thumb only 1 inch apart to emphasize point) to owning my own milk cow. I've always wanted a milk cow. Having a dairy animal would be another big step in our family's move toward food independence. Just think what one could do with that milk: butter, whipped cream, yogurt, kefir, cheese....oh, the cheese. (I'm quite in love with diary fat as the size of my fanny can attest.) She was a Jersey/ Holstein cross, had a 3 month old steer baby by her side and was already bred back to a Jersey bull. Heavens! I couldn't believe my good fortune!

But as luck would have it: the cow didn't happen. In a series of unfortunate events (some my fault, some not) the deal fell through. I was REALLY disappointed. More disappointed than I realized I could be over a milk cow. Especially a cow that was never meant to be mine because....... we live in a rent house. (Now why in the world would a landlord ever allow a tenant to own a milk cow? I was not living in the real world when I sunk my heart into that dream! I thought I might get lucky.... almost did.)

But this sad, sad tail (pardon the pun) is not to end here.
Recently, I found a local milk supplier! I have a friend from church who owns shares in a small herd of Jerseys. She pays the farmer to feed, house and milk the animals. In return she gets several gallons a week of the thick, white, wonderful stuff; cream and all. I contacted the farmer and I'm going tomorrow to visit his Jersey girls. If there is an available share, I'll gleefully plunk down the money and strut out the door with my treasure sloshing in a gallon jar. I can't wait!!! I see amazingly, lovely, fresh, butter in my family's future. I see creamy, white yogurt with melts in the mouth goodness. Ooooo, I see happiness.


Oh, I can't wait.

I'll keep you posted.....

No comments:

Post a Comment